Close

2 gig exporter crashes

Hi

I am using studio 6.0.1 64 bit and have been testing it's capacity with high res models. I made a hero tree which weighs in at around 700,000 poly's. I have been watching the task manager and it seems that the .fbx and .obj exporters crash out when they hit 2 gig of ram.

I don't often need to exceed 500,000 polys, but it would be good to have the option, currently I can't get the model out of speedtree at all.

Administrator
    Hello

Sorry you're having trouble. Currently the mesh exporters are only 32 bit, which is why they're giving up when they use too much ram. We'll look into providing 64 bit exporter options.

In the meantime, have you tried using export selected, also available in the file menu? Using that you could export pieces of your tree at a time and then reassemble them in your modeling application.

Hi Greg, I thought that might be the case. 64 bit exporters would be much appreciated.

In this instance I have used a stems with leaves setup and most of the poly's are in that node. So I can export out all the other parts, just not the main stem/leaf mesh. I have another more reasonable version of the tree without geometric stems which exports fine.

Administrator
    You can also select in node mode (hit tab or use the button in the window toolbar). So you could select a few branches, and then choose select descendents from the contextual menu. Then export selected. You could do it in a few bunches.

But we will look into adding the 64bit exporters to avoid having to do this.