Close

non manifold geometry exported from speedtree

Hello

We are running into an issue with some of our trees exporting with non-manifold geometry in the leaves. A random scattering of half of a leaf's polygons are facing up and the other half down.

sometimes this occurs with geo that comes from speed tree libraries and other times it's happening on leaf geo that I have created from scratch in maya (where it definitely did not have non-manifold geo).

I am wondering if this is a bug or if there is a setting in Speed Tree that will force adjacent poly normals to all face the same direction when exporting.

For troubleshooting sake, I have tried exporting and importing the fbx from speedtree with all the various options combinations, no settings here made any difference.

Any ideas why we are getting non-manifold geo?

Administrator
    Hello,

Unfortunately, this one is a small bug that has to do with flipped leaves. We have fixed it for the next version, which is due out very soon.

A workaround for right now is to uncheck the "Leaves:Flip" property on your leaf generators, as only flipped leaves exhibit the problem.

Good to hear the new version is out soon.

Unfortunately none of the leaves on my test trees are flipped. I can resort to separating all the edges of all the leaves for now and sometimes maya's non-manifold cleanup works.

IF there's anything else that might cause this, let me know and I'll test on my scenes.

Hi Chad,

If you can send us an example of a bad FBX to support@speedtree.com, we can take a look at what you're talking about. Are you noticing the flipped faces in Maya, I assume? Or another 3D app?
    - Steve Klipowicz
    - SpeedTree Team

In maya, yes