Close

Exclamation performance of speedtree v6 compiler is lower than v5.2

in speedtree v5.2, I added about 20 trees it still have acceptable performance, if I want to merge the billboard atlas, it just take about half minute to compute, but in v6, complier is much slower than v5.2, same about 20 trees to compile, merge billboard atlas, it takes me about 8 minutes, but still the program remains Not Responding state.

I checked task manager, seems the compiler are single-threaded, it only uses one cpu core. Hope this can be improved in next version.

Administrator
    Are you including the time it takes to compile the shaders? The 5.2 compiler didn't do that, and it can be substantial depending on the effect combinations and platforms selected.

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear. I don't mean the compile performance, I mean when I have multiple trees in compiler program, and when I change some compile option, then the program stops response for a very very long time, the compile performance of speedtree compiler is much faster than v5.2.

Administrator
    You are most likely seeing the result of the "use extra space" option for billboards in the atlas properties. That causes an iterative process that maximizes the scaling of the billboards to use as much of the texture space as possible. With lots of trees in a single atlas, it will take much longer. Try turning it off in your settings and see if it helps.

The next version has some optimizations that make it work much faster, but we also decided to turn it off by default.

Thanks for the tips, by turning off the "use extra space" option, the performance is much much faster.

BTW, when can we expect the next version?

Administrator
    It should be pretty soon