Just a few ideas I've had that I think could help improve my SpeedTree work flow, production, and assets.
1. An option to import multiple level of detail custom mesh fronds. i.e, being able to import multiple versions of the same mesh, out of third party software, that would allow rendering of high, mid, to low poly meshes at set distances.
2. "Transmission masks", or textures that would be used to create variation of the transmission effect for different textures. Say, allowing the effect to be hidden on the stem of a leaf texture and more visible throughout thinner parts of the leaf.
3. Spec map support for "detail" maps on materials.
4. Support for free floating geometry. Occasionally it would be nice just to be able to grab a leaf mesh and move it exactly where I want it, regardless of if there is a parent spine to attach it too.
Anyway just my two cents. Love the product and all the support. Keep up the good work.
Hello. Thanks for the feedback.
1) We have added mesh LOD for the next version, v6.0. You will be able to specify 3 LODs on any mesh asset and it gets picked up throughout the tree.
2) The transmission mask is in the alpha channel of the specular map (that's why it is called spec/trans).
4) You would use a mesh force for this. Load a mesh asset, put a mesh force into your scene and assign that mesh to it, and enable "Include in model" so it comes through through the pipeline. A number of our trees do this with rocks or pieces of buildings, fences, etc.
Awesome! Thank you for the quick feedback/ advice.
Tags for this Thread