Close

Lightbulb Few feature update to save time a little

hello,

I am facing this issue from a long time.

I import the .srt file in UE4. By default its screen size calculation set to automatic.
    Once i set it up the values,its ok. but when i re-import , it change those values again to automatic.
    Is there option to set that up in speed tree? or is there any way to prevent it changing the values?
    They gave option to import billboard,Materials, LODs but not screen size.
    Please help me. Its very daunting to change values every time when i re-import after small changes.

another one small thing will be very use full . As i save as increment, it saves the file but it also open it. I save one file in directory that is connected to the unreel and I overwrite it as I satisfied with changes. then i re-import the same file. otherwise i have to import the increment save file again and again. import new materials then deleting others or choose not to import materials then assigning the old one. In the same file materials stay the same only LOD and other setting change that i explained in first paragraph.if it could save as and overwrite file and still keep open the same file.it will be great.

these are small feature i really need to save a lot of time. tha i can spend on focusing on tree.

Thanks,
    Bajwa

Administrator
    Hello,

It should only reset the lod values if something about the structure of the mesh has changed (E.G. if the number of materials, draw calls, or lods has changed). Then it regenerates everything. If you are making minor changes and it is still doing it, then it might be a bug that needs to be fixed.

The next major version of SpeedTree (v8) will work a little differently when it comes to creating srt files from the Modeler. I think it'll cover your second request.

Thank you for your reply.

I understand your point. well i do make tweaks in structure.
    I hope the LOD values option may included in ST so we do not need to change it in UE.
    save as option you can provide in sub option like in gimp https://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-file-save-a-copy.html
    few more things i faced since then that ST do not support multisub objects. hope it will be available in future updates.
    and last when i export the fbx file as node in option to 3d package. pivot point is set to world origin. it will be great if pivot stays the same as it is in ST. So we may later make changes easily or replace the mesh easily.
    we will really appreciate if some of these feature may added.

Thanks,
    Bajwa

Hello,

here are some of the issues i face daily.Hope i am not the only one
    Here we go...
    >I don't know if its possible or not but Per Object level "sink" availability will be good. its in gen tab tad hide in node mode.
    >create billboard on off switch is there. if there will be Create atlas switch it on/off. every time i save it save the textures in the folder that i dont need. those are already linked. I am deleting them every time.
    >is it possible disturb in the direction or pin the ends. i am using magnet for that. it works fine for few branches but its not possible to use magnet for each branch.
    >another thing that is annoying . when we are working in node editor mode. when i increase or decrease length of branch, it remove and add leaves to the branch. when increase again it bring back the nodes but with default values. if it could save the transformation that i did before removing will save lots of time and undo also bring the new one or default one.
    > unhide last hidden or select the hidden nodes.one hide and do some stuff we cant unhide it with undo so need a good option to see the hidden nodes. show all brings all the stuff like collision , Forces indicator and other nodes that i don't want to be visible. node list will also great. there we can see how many nodes we have what are hidden what are not. I hide the branches to make the tree fine then i want to delete them permanently but i cant.
    >if its possible Stripping out tabs like Photoshop will be great. now we have tabbed view or floating tabs. but if it possible to drag out/in the tab will be great.
    >one more feature we will really appreciate that able to see texture and zoom in mesh viewer. Maximizing it will be like heaven.
    >changing texture or meshes folder path so all update in once. now have to load each mesh and LODs then textures manually. it work fine if file and cluster are in same folder then i can change but if clusters are in respective folder then its a hard work.
    > weirdly triangulate the clusters. i think it join to closest vertex to make cluster right? its fine i just triangulate it 3D package. but sometimes it re-triangulate then its a issue.
    >there is no option to optimize collision mesh. Capsule is 12 in height and 12 in radius. if i wish to change them. i cant. please give a option to edit it. and it will be more awesome if we could import the custom collision.
    >I don't know i asked it before or not but per leaves transform and per plant transform if we could export will be really great. so we can change the meshes later in 3D package easily.

I know these are so many things and SpeedTree is improving day by day. these were few things i struggle with, I know there will be more who would have same issue. I also want to help and support to make SpeedTree more awesome. hope to see some feature in future update. Cant wait to see the SpeedTree 8 for all engines.

Sorry for too many of feedback & requests.
    I am trying out SpeedTree 8 Lumberyard. I am not sure yet that these are available in the 8 or not.

Thanks
    Aman Bajwa

Administrator
    Hello,

Thank you for the feedback. I will log some of this.

I do want to address the collision objects, however. They are not polygonal, so there is no need to edit it. They are perfect primitives. A sphere is just a position and radius, for example - in both the SpeedTree Modeler and UE4. Also, in the UE4 editor, you can recompute or import your own collision mesh as with any static mesh, if you wish.

Thank you very much Greg,
    But for optimization there should be options to change that.
    Bigger problem is the triangulation that SpeedTree do. mesh is already triangulate then why SpeedTree is re-triangulating it and how to stop that.
    Thanks
    Aman

Administrator
    Hello,

Sorry, perhaps I wasn't clear enough. There are zero polygons in the collision objects. They are perfect primitives. We display them with polygons because that is how you draw things in 3d; this is what is done in UE4 as well. But internally, a check against a perfect sphere is just about the fastest collision test you can ever do. There is no optimization to be done on them.

As for triangulation, make sure you are using the latest version. I know we have made some fixes in that area. A screenshot could help illustrate what you are seeing.