Close

Lightbulb Few feature update to save time a little

hello,

I am facing this issue from a long time.

I import the .srt file in UE4. By default its screen size calculation set to automatic.
    Once i set it up the values,its ok. but when i re-import , it change those values again to automatic.
    Is there option to set that up in speed tree? or is there any way to prevent it changing the values?
    They gave option to import billboard,Materials, LODs but not screen size.
    Please help me. Its very daunting to change values every time when i re-import after small changes.

another one small thing will be very use full . As i save as increment, it saves the file but it also open it. I save one file in directory that is connected to the unreel and I overwrite it as I satisfied with changes. then i re-import the same file. otherwise i have to import the increment save file again and again. import new materials then deleting others or choose not to import materials then assigning the old one. In the same file materials stay the same only LOD and other setting change that i explained in first paragraph.if it could save as and overwrite file and still keep open the same file.it will be great.

these are small feature i really need to save a lot of time. tha i can spend on focusing on tree.

Thanks,
    Bajwa

Administrator
    Hello,

It should only reset the lod values if something about the structure of the mesh has changed (E.G. if the number of materials, draw calls, or lods has changed). Then it regenerates everything. If you are making minor changes and it is still doing it, then it might be a bug that needs to be fixed.

The next major version of SpeedTree (v8) will work a little differently when it comes to creating srt files from the Modeler. I think it'll cover your second request.

Thank you for your reply.

I understand your point. well i do make tweaks in structure.
    I hope the LOD values option may included in ST so we do not need to change it in UE.
    save as option you can provide in sub option like in gimp https://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-file-save-a-copy.html
    few more things i faced since then that ST do not support multisub objects. hope it will be available in future updates.
    and last when i export the fbx file as node in option to 3d package. pivot point is set to world origin. it will be great if pivot stays the same as it is in ST. So we may later make changes easily or replace the mesh easily.
    we will really appreciate if some of these feature may added.

Thanks,
    Bajwa

Administrator
    Hello,

Thank you for the feedback. I will log some of this.

I do want to address the collision objects, however. They are not polygonal, so there is no need to edit it. They are perfect primitives. A sphere is just a position and radius, for example - in both the SpeedTree Modeler and UE4. Also, in the UE4 editor, you can recompute or import your own collision mesh as with any static mesh, if you wish.

Thank you very much Greg,
    But for optimization there should be options to change that.
    Bigger problem is the triangulation that SpeedTree do. mesh is already triangulate then why SpeedTree is re-triangulating it and how to stop that.
    Thanks
    Aman

Administrator
    Hello,

Sorry, perhaps I wasn't clear enough. There are zero polygons in the collision objects. They are perfect primitives. We display them with polygons because that is how you draw things in 3d; this is what is done in UE4 as well. But internally, a check against a perfect sphere is just about the fastest collision test you can ever do. There is no optimization to be done on them.

As for triangulation, make sure you are using the latest version. I know we have made some fixes in that area. A screenshot could help illustrate what you are seeing.